Dear friends of GLEN World,
Season’s greetings! As the holiday season gets under way, we thought it is a good time to share with you the progress that GLEN World has made in 2019, which has laid the groundwork for an exciting 2020. Our journey to helping bridge the literacy divide continues apace…here are a few important steps that we took this year.
- GLEN Learn revamp: this year we made a concerted effort to incorporate the feedback that we’ve received over our past pilots and from our research partners in the design of a revised GLEN Learn app. This effort has led to the development of significant new content, personalized learning features, embedded skill assessment and targeted skill-strengthening modules in the app. The upgraded GLEN Learn app is being used for an ongoing pilot deployment.
- New website for effective outreach: We launched our new website earlier this year to better convey our mission, approach and progress so far. The response to the new website has been very encouraging in terms of outreach impact.
- Partnership with IVYP: We have kicked off a partnership with Isla Vista Youth Projects (IVYP) in Goleta, CA with a pilot of the GLEN Learn app launched in November in a preschool classroom with a predominance of English learners. This partnership is a long-term testbed for iteration of content, learning analytics, and deployment best practices, as we continue our efforts to scale our deployments in California, the US, and worldwide.
- Learner Metrics Dashboard: We have released a learner metrics dashboard that visualizes user engagement and learning progress. The dashboard is available to teachers and administrators at deployment sites (enabling them to monitor learner progress). We view this dashboard as a major step forward in developing a comprehensive learning analytics framework to enable continuous adaptation of our content and approach to optimize learning outcomes.
- Partnership with UCSB Gevirtz Graduate School of Education (GGSE) Research Faculty: We are partnering with research faculty from the UCSB GGSE for our pilot assessments. This partnership, fueled by data from our deployments, enables us to leverage their world-renowned expertise in early literacy and learning outcomes assessments to continue to ground our content and assessment design approaches in sound research and best practices.
- Partnership with Katherine Harvey Fellows 2019-20: We have partnered with a team of Katherine Harvey Fellows (a group of emerging community leaders in Santa Barbara County) to help identify and partner with local organizations working with young English Learners, and to facilitate pilot deployments of GLEN World’s content.
Now comes the most important part: all of us at GLEN World would like to express our sincere gratitude to you — our supporters, donors and partners — for all your help through the years. None of this would have been possible without your continued support. THANK YOU!
As you plan your gifts for your beloved people and causes this holiday season, would you consider making a gift to help young English Learners in our communities build a better future for themselves? Donate now.
Our very best wishes for a happy holiday season to you and your loved ones!
The GLEN World Team
GLEN World is a 501(c)3 nonprofit. If your employer has a donation match program, then that’s a great way to double your gift’s impact!
GLEN World and Amazon Smile: When you shop at smile.amazon.com/ch/46-1575387, AmazonSmile donates to GLEN World!